Monday, May 22, 2006

Volvo Ocean Race update -

There's been such sad news from the Volvo Ocean Race over the last few days.

Movistar abandoned (reading that, all I can think is "What a wise & admirable captain").

Saddest news, though, was about a crew member being swept overboard in a storm - they found him, but too late. Hans Horrevoets, 1974-2006

You just know that the people who do this ocean racing at this level understand the risks they are taking - they are no weekend warriors who think that if things get rough they'll just pull out their cellphones and somebody will come make sure they're safe - but it's still sad, especially in contrast to the excitement I felt in the air that morning in North Cove.

Can't say anything more.

Symposium report later. I feel like mixing that in with this would be disrespectful. I will say, though, that it was a wonderful weekend. Last year was great although there were a couple of odd glitchy things, mostly, I think, because it was the first one - those glitchy things seemed to have been ironed out very nicely this year. As I was heading down the hill from my cabin to the dining hall yesterday afternoon, on my way to teach my last session, I realized that more than just about anything, I wished we could keep going for a week (that's not a hint, the weekend plus Friday afternoon is a good length for what we were doing - it was just that I was enjoying it all so much I didn't want it to be over).

No comments: