Monday, August 28, 2006

Quelle jour...

Oy vey, what a day. The minute I got that email from MKC, I should have just walked into my boss's office, explained the situation & taken a vacation day to go stir up trouble on my own time. Anyways...long story short but after a whole lot of crossed wires involving a meeting of the Hudson River Park Trust Advisory Council on Wednesday night, seem to be pretty much settling on trying to get folks to attend, not necessarily to speak (we've got one guy who's tended to do some of this stuff these days) but just to be there. Me, as I said - I just want to get as much of the story firsthand as is available - this business of "We MIGHT shut down from the 10th until, oh, sometime after that" is, for me at least, a whole lot tougher to swallow than "OK, we shut down on the 10th, move your kayak before then if you want to see it again before x-and-such date".

I don't think this is any sort of conspiracy to make the lives of the Rustbucketeers difficult - just a good old-fashioned failure to communicate well on about 27 levels. These things, they happen. Especially in the middle of the park & Manhattan Kayak Company's busy seasons. Anyways, hopefully a batch of us will make it to that meeting, to listen if nothing else, & hopefully at least we'll come away with a clearer picture of what's going to happen - that would make me a lot happier even if the picture is not necessarily the one I'd like to see.

But what a jarring development to find out about - especially after the really quiet & relaxing whatever happens, happens, rain-on-the-river day that was Sunday. Felt so peaceful that evening.

No comments: