Sunday, April 15, 2007

Raining, cat, and dog!

Kabocha squash vine at 3 weeks of age (April 1):


2 weeks later (April 14th):


Today is the official last frost day for this part of the Northeastern US, so as soon as I can line up a few hours of free time during daylight hours to finish building & filling my bed, I can get these guys outside.

Raining!

Not today though. Big storm today. I know it's hard on a lot of people but I've been so overscheduled lately, in a way, this almost feels like a gift - today was supposed to be a work day at the club, followed by a sea kayak committee meeting, and then I was probably going to try to squeeze in a paddle. Instead, I spent all morning curled up on the piece of furniture I have come to think of as "The Evil Futon of Nap" with a book and a cup of ginger peach tea. Now I'm going to putter. Yay. I was way past due for a day like this.

Puttering may include getting a start on the "Cast of Characters" I've been meaning to do for so long. I'm in the perfect mood to do that 'cause I had the best time last night hanging out with many of them - New York Kayak Polo's fundraiser was a huge success (at least from how many people came & had an absolutely great time).

Cat!

Me, some of the glamorous ladies of NYKP, and the official mouser of the Brooklyn Brewery (who likes guests who let her keep their coats warm)!

Come on kitty, time for you to give back our coats & let us go home.

Goodnight, Brooklyn Brewery kitty! This has to be the hardest working cat in Brooklyn - that's sacks and sacks and sacks of grain she's sitting on, and I'm sure that once the guests are away, the mice would like to play. And stuff they little mousie faces, too.


And Dog!

As I mentioned, I wasn't able to make the Sea of People, but through the kindness of Mr. Sea Level & Hinemoa, I had a very cute, furry four-legged proxy there! Meet Matilda. More pictures from what looks like a very nice day over here!

And here's a link to a video clip
that one of the outrigger canoe team, who's also an avid biker, posted to NYCKayaker (local kayak list run by the Hudson River Watertrail Association - like to mention the group that provides that list when I get neat stuff through that list!)

In closing, I'd like to wish everyone a very happy Jackie Robinson Day, right from the heart of Brooklyn! Mostly celebrated in ballparks, but seems particularly worth mentioning this year after the young ladies of the Rutgers basketball team showed so much of that same spirit & class in the face of such total mean-spiritedness. Ugh. Oddly enough, I don't have a T.V. and I don't really follow sports, but a couple of weeks ago I was at my Tuesday night Irish music seisiun, and the pub's TV was showing one of the womens' games, and at the end, as the cameras were roving around the faces of the players, their friends and their families - I was suddenly amazed by how absolutely beautiful these young women were...not in the way the media usually depicts "beauty", not fashion-model barbie-doll beauty, but in a much better & stronger way.

We're better than we used to be - but boy, we still have so far to go.

Happy Jackie Robinson Day.

No comments: