Saturday, September 20, 2008

Feast of San Gennaro, September 2008


Every September, there's a big street festival thrown in Little Italy in honor of the patron saint of Naples, San Gennaro.

There are a lot of street fairs thrown in NYC over the summer - I absolutely adored them when I first moved to NY, but after you've been to a few, a lot of them get to looking pretty generic - the big ones will stretch for 10 blocks & you start to notice that it's not just that you see the same booths at the different street fairs, but that if you walk the entire length of one single street fair, you'll see the same booths repeating every other block.

The older ones seem to have a little more character, though, and I think the Feast of San Gennaro is one of my favorites. OK, it's also the one that's a 10 minute walk from my office - that may have something to do with my faithful attendance for the last few years. But with 80+ years of history, I also think this one's got a little more heart to it than many!



This year, I took a camera, got some good pictures, including (much to my delight) the procession of San Gennaro. Ate torrone & carne asada al llanera, in that order, too -- torrone is a nougat candy that I got quite fond of when my parents were stationed in Italy & Ferrara's was fabulous, I bought a little bag & I meant to just have a taste & pretty soon it was just gone (how'd that happen?).

Ferrara's torrone guy, carne asada al llanera grilling over a wood fire, the Red Mike Festival Band & lots more San Gennaro fun over on Flikr.

No comments: