Friday, October 30, 2009

Small (and HIGHLY entertaining) World!


Janna Cawrse Esarey!
Janna Cawrse Esarey!
Janna Cawrse Esarey!

I've been seeing that name a lot lately, as she's been promoting her book, The Motion of the Ocean: 1 Small Boat, 2 Average Lovers, and a Woman's Search for the Meaning of Wife & was recently spreading the word about a reading she was doing in the Bay Area among some of the sailing bloggers around there (and Tillerman too, although she realized pretty quickly that he was on the wrong coast).

I thought this sounded like a book I'd enjoy & on a whim, I left a joking email on her blog at the Seattle P.I. asking when she'd be reading in Brooklyn. I then posted a post about a kayak race held on a fearfully windy, cold, and rainy day, then grabbed my bag and my green tomatoes (I had a bunch from my garden & TQ has some good recipes I wanted to try) and headed out to hop on a westbound Greyhound.

Didn't spend a lot of time online -- TQ & I see a little less of each other than we used to when we were 2 hours apart -- but I did see it when Janna left a comment asking if I'd like to get a copy of her book to review.

Well - heck, yeah! was my immediate response, but I didn't email her back right away. Figured I'd do it when I got back. And then I got back, and had to hit & hold a breakneck pace at work to make up for being away, and there was little food poisoning episode one night just to make life even more festive (3:00 am and I'm up for an hour while every ounce of stuff that was in me came back out - after which I was fine & had no excuse for staying home), and somehow emailing Janna just completely slipped my mind.

Good thing my college alumni association sent me a reminder today!
*****************************
From: Whitman College
To: "Whitman College Alumni, Parents, and Friends"
Subject: Whittie News Correction
Date: Oct 30, 2009 3:18 PM

The link from the previous Whittie News email for the author reading by Janna Cawrse Esarey '94 will misdirect you to a past event in Portland. The actual event is November 7 in Seattle at Elliott Bay Books.
****************************
I graduated the year before she started.

Funny enough to take a quick break from my forecasting & share here!

Of course, I emailed her right away, and one of these days, yes, there will be a book review.

I bet it's going to be good, too.

No comments: